Living outside of Canada doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the convenience and accessibility of having a Canadian phone number. Whether you’re a Canadian expat, a frequent traveler, or a remote worker, having a Canadian phone number can provide numerous benefits. From staying connected with family and friends back home to maintaining a professional image for business purposes, obtaining a Canadian phone number while residing outside the country is easier than you might think. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore various options and methods to help you secure a Canadian phone number, allowing you to stay connected and accessible wherever you are in the world.
1. Reasons to Have a Canadian Phone Number Abroad
There are several reasons to have a Canadian phone number while living abroad. Whether you’re a Canadian citizen overseas or a frequent traveler to Canada, it offers numerous advantages. One key benefit is staying connected with friends, family, and business contacts in Canada without incurring high international calling fees. It ensures you have a local presence and a familiar number. Additionally, a Canadian phone number is often required for accessing Canadian services, documents, or online platforms. This is especially vital if you need exclusive Canadian resident services. Moreover, it provides security and convenience, aiding in emergencies, local inquiries, and administrative procedures. Obtaining a Canadian phone number abroad is now easier with virtual numbers and mobile plans designed for expats, offering features like call forwarding and voicemail.
2. How to Get a Canadian Phone Number Abroad
Getting a Canadian phone number while abroad is practical for staying connected or maintaining a local presence in Canada. You have multiple options to obtain one, even if you’re overseas:
- Virtual Phone Number: Sign up for a virtual phone number service, We recommend the Telefeo app Choose a Canadian area code, and forward calls to your current phone, whether it’s a landline or mobile.
- Internet-Based Phone Services: Use internet-based phone or VoIP providers to make and receive calls using the internet. You can select a Canadian number and call to/from Canada.
- Assistance from Friends or Family: If you have contacts in Canada, they can add you to their phone plan, giving you a local Canadian number to make/receive calls as if you were in Canada.
- International Plans: Some telecom companies offer international plans that include a Canadian number. Research and compare providers to find the most suitable option.